Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mama Molly, Mama Molly




(sing it like “mama mia mama mia”) Thanks Emmy ;)

Good Golly Miss Molly…the nurturing one of our group. I remember the day she told me she was pregnant, well, she didn’t exactly tell me…

(This picture was at her wedding and no, she didn't tell me she was pregnant on her wedding day-it was over a year later!)



Picture it. Rockwall, Summer of 2010. Three days before we left on our road trip to Savannah. Sitting at her kitchen table.

Molly: “Well, I need to tell you something. It’s unexpected….” (while pushing food around on her plate and making no eye contact with me.) 
Me: “Oh what…are you pregnant?”
Molly: “Yes.”
Me: Hysterical. Screaming. Tears. “AHHHHH!!!!!”

We always knew the first babe had to come from Molly. Court and I have always said she would probably end up raising our kids anyway. (Hence: The child leash-but Molly it’s Coach!) 

I, of course, told her the minute my stick turned pink and my adventure began...

A letter from Molls, one of the most WONDERFUL and LOVING Mothers I know:

To Sarah: New mom advice

While I sit here writing this post, I have to admit that I have forgotten a lot about the first few months of being a new mom.  I suppose this lapse in memory has contributed to mothers having multiple children for ages.   While being a new mom has been the hardest job I’ve ever had to do, the fact that most, if not every, mom forgets the hard parts so quickly should give you some peace. You will get through it, and you will feel pretty damn proud of yourself.  You are going to grow so much as a person in the next year.  As cliché as it sounds, it’s totally true.  Now, onto some advice to help you through it:

·    Sleep when Norah sleeps – as obvious as this sounds, it is sometimes hard.  When you first get home, you are going to feel that you should accomplish something while she sleeps, ie load the dishwasher, do some laundry, pick up the kitchen, etc.  You are a bigger neat freak than I am, so I bet you will have these feelings too.  It takes a little getting used to the fact that for the first few weeks, your sole job is taking care of your new baby.  Let others do everything else for you.  When she sleeps during the day, you sleep during the day.  It won’t take but a couple of nights to really get into this sleeping during the day bit.  And I know how you love your naps, so think of it as getting to take several great naps a day.  How awesome!

Let others help you – as I mentioned above, let your family and friends do everything else short of feeding Norah for the first few weeks.  At first I felt this weird sense of guilt, like hey, you don’t need to go out of your way to do everything, I can do some of it too.  But the fact is that you will have been through so much the first few weeks of her life, that you need all the rest you can get.  Don’t feel guilty that others are doing everything for you; feel thankful.  You have an amazing family that is going to be there for you and help you out.

Ask other moms for advice – You will have a million questions throughout the first month, or throughout her whole life most likely.  You are lucky to have sisters and friends who have just been in your shoes.  Ask them anything, they are the best resource.

I could go on and on with this list (or maybe not..since I can’t remember most of the first month).   I just remember being surprised by the emotions I mentioned above (am I useless around the house?, why do I feel guilty?, etc).  So just know that you are about to experience emotions out the WAZOO and it’s completely NORMAL.   


The Usual Prego Update:

How Far Along: rounding up 36 weeks, hers about 6lbs (give or take a pound-so we really don’t know)
Maternity Clothes: dresses, maternity tops and leggings/stretchy pants
Sleep: up every 1-2 hour, but can sleep solid from about 7:15am-9:15am
Best Moments: My nephew Cole has been taking swim lessons and telling me/showing me everything-it’s precious; getting Norah’s crib; seeing her sweet face on my last sonogram; knowing that 1 month from each day that goes by she will be here with me at home.
Miss Anything: ehhh…not really…
Movement: Hiccups and some kung-fu.
Food Cravings: Food…Frequently.
Anything making me sick or nauseas: too much sugar (I just ate a cookie too fast and not feeling great!)
 Gender: Doc checked Tuesday…still nice girl!  
Labor Signs: “pressure down there” and Braxton Hicks getting more frequent…crushed ice is my friend daily and like a miracle drug. I can't get enough of it. 
Symptoms: Sleepy. Hungry. Thirsty.
Belly Button: It’s out and still weird.
Wedding Rings: On
Happy or Moody: Anxious  
Looking Forward To: meeting our sweet baby girl and starting our new life together as bigger family! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Good Golly Miss Molly! Could not have said it better. Yes, we will all be knocking each other over to do everything you need. This journey is the best one ever. Promise.

    ReplyDelete